Thursday, September 06, 2007

Paul


Not too long ago Paul, Melody, and I were driving down PCH. I love PCH. I have been to New York and the Bahamas and have yet to find a drive like PCH. Even in Colorado Springs, with the beauty of the mountains, it didn't compare to the Southern California coast. Wish they all could be California roads.

As we were driving, I looked over at my husband. I looked back at my daughter. "Mommy, this is fun," she declared. A scripture came to mind. "I will renew your youth like the eagles." Paul's yellow convertible Mustang is a fun car. When I drive in it it makes up for all the times I didn't have a date in high school.

I thought of all the years in junior high and high school when I didn't have a boyfriend. How I had a college boyfriend and it just didn't seem right. And then was single for 33 years.

I know a lot of people who got married young and I am so much better off than them. Not only with my choice in mate, but with the career I had and the financial place we are in. Not that being a stay-at-home Mom is easy.

Paul and I often joke that even though we have been married for only 4 years that it seems like 25. We got pregnant two months after we were married. Melody and I were both in the hospital a month and we had massive medical bills (that we actually paid off!) Both of our Dads died within 3 months of each other. The night I found my Dad's body I was a mess and Paul just took over and called 911. I don't think I could have got through that night without Paul. We have moved five times. Not to mention that we are both first born children, strong-willed, both single a long time and set in our ways.

There were the flowers that Paul sent me when we were dating. There was the poetry he wrote me. The love and the romance. It was all special and wonderful.

But my most favorite memory of Paul is when he slow-danced with me in ICU. When he would go and hold Melody and sing to her when I was too weak to do so. When I was lying on the bed at our house in Colorado and he was dressing my un-healed incision. I thought he must really love me to do this. We went from having sex every night to Paul wiping up my vomit. Like I said that's true love.

Paul and I are emotional artists. We both have horrible tempers. But with God's help we are getting them under control. Anal people always want to say that artists are bipolar. Some are. But just because you are not stable and boring all the time doesn't mean you are bipolar. I love this quote: "The pitiful and the magnificent of the hypersensitive are the salt of the earth." That is Paul and Lori. We are either really happy or really sad. There is no in-between. Melody is the same but squared.

I love eating dinner with Paul. I love watching tv and movies with him. He is my best friend. He is my lover. He is the father of our child. I love when we pray together and worship God together. I love listening to 80's music with Paul. Paul introduced me to Delirious? and Superchic[k]. Two of my favorite bands. Melody loves them too. He even goes and see artsy movies with me which most guys would never do. He doesn't watch Monday night football or play golf. That's what I'm talkin about.

With everyone out there bragging about how many people they have been with, I have to tell you this. I am glad Paul and I waited. He was worth the wait. He is a good lover. He rubs my feet.

Sometimes when you wait, you might think you missed out. But God has been bringing people across my path to show me that I haven't missed out. In fact, I am actually better off than the girls and boys who sleep around.

If you are reading this and are alone, know that God has someone for you. God does not want us to be alone.

God gave me my English gentleman. He is my Mr. Darcy. He opens doors for me and he walks on the outside of me. Just like I used to see my Dad do for my Mom. I love when Paul holds my hand and hugs me. I love his kisses. I still remember the LAX kiss. I love you Paul Michael Carhart!!!

Oh behave!!!!

My God, you're a firecracker!!

Are you a fan of delicious flavor?!!

No comments: