Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Weekend That Wasn’t (Or Was)


I guess it just depends on your point of view.

We didn't go to the Renaissance Festival and we didn't go to Memorial Park for fireworks, but we had a good three-day weekend nevertheless.

I don't remember a lot about Saturday, which is as it should be. Lori and I both enjoyed the rest and, with worship-leading responsibilities at church on Sunday, we decided to bask in the laziness of it.

Sunday was about what I expected. We led worship at church. We made hamburgers for lunch. Etc.

On Monday, we decided to just check out what fireworks we could from the front porch and I took some time to work on my latest novel. It was nice to finally have some time to put aside for this project. I went through my outline earlier in the weekend and realized that it really is a good story. When I opened the Word file, I found page upon page of narrative that I don't remember writing and was delighted to discover that it's pretty good.

So I finished off the chapter before it got dark.

Unfortunately, we couldn't see much from our front porch. So we climbed into the car and headed out into the crazy 4th traffic. Still, we were able to catch the tail end of various fireworks displays (including the illegal ones on our street).

Since we were out I decided to treat Lori to something sweet (Melody was already asleep). We went to a place in town called Good Times that serves frozen custard as opposed to ice cream. They were offering a Red, White & Blue Sundae. How novel! Lori wanted one so I ordered her one while she made use of the facilities... only to find out that they only had enough custard to make Lori's sundae and I couldn’t get anything!

Vent alert: This is a custard place! And they're out of custard? That’s like KFC running out of chicken or Arby's running out of roast beef! I bet McDonalds doesn't run out of hamburgers.

Anyway, without Lori there to decide if she still wanted her Red, White & Blue Sundae or if she wanted to go somewhere else, I dusted off the gentleman beneath and ordered for her. Then we went over to Sonic (a burger and dessert place styled like a 50's drive-in diner) and I got what amounted to a cup of soft-serve ice cream with a few chunks of cookie dough on top.

So I guess our fourth of July coulda been a little better. But we had fun and we enjoyed ourselves and we got out of the house. Which is something a writer doesn’t always accomplish, especially on a non-work holiday.

On a side note, I put down another chapter of that novel last night after Lori and Melody hit the sack. Now if I can only maintain this Momentum.

But I'm sure I'll be sidetracked again. It's my way.

After all, we still have those Renaissance Festival tickets...

No comments: