Friday, October 10, 2008

Celebrate The Milestone!

This week, I completed the first draft of my latest novel: "A Stranger on a Quiet Street" which is the first in what I hope will be a series called Worlds Collide.

It's been a bumpy road for this novel. It was started when my dad was still alive and we were living in Colorado. Since then, we've moved several times and the book has had many starts and stops.

Of course, as Ernest Hemingway said, "The first draft of anything is sh*t." So now the editing begins. Thankfully, despite the interruptions, I had an outline for the novel from the outset and never lost sight of it. I'm pretty sure it will still hold together nicely, even though I have since re-read portions of it that I don't even remember writing!

I'm pretty sure my publisher wants to see it when I have a polished draft, so all the more reason to get crackin.

So even though I'm celebrating the milestone of finishing the first draft, I'm not spending much time in the celebration. There's always more to do.

No comments: